My capstone project for the SVC UX Design Certificate Program is a ten-week course in which we split into teams and tackle a real-world UX Design Scenario. Two pitches were made. One from IxDa (Internation Interactive Design Association) to make a conference app the other was Town Hall to rebuild their website or build an app. The IxDA Conference Application seemed like an excellent opportunity to explore Augmented Reality in practical applications.
In our first week we watched a brief presentation from the client and were able to ask questions:
Next, we formed into groups and once our group was formed we established that Google Drive would be our shared workspace, slack would be our preferred method of communicating when outside of class or in-person meetings, and established a team document to share early ideas.
On our own, we did a little brainstorming. I began on paper with pencil to explore some options that could take advantage of image recognition tools for AR.
My next step was to evaluate Vuforia. After a few hours, was able to get first results.
I started with Vuforia in unity, and using my laptop webcam was able to have a reaction when target map showed up. Next, I wanted to add a little complexity to the app. So I built a small scene.
Next steps: Meet with group and figure out what we are going to do. Flesh out AR ideas and research prototype. Probably only room for one or two AR ideas, don't want to over gimmick.